Friday, January 10, 2014

Review: Chipotle Vegenaise, Roasted Garlic Vegenaise, Just Mayo, and Earth Balance Original Mayo (all #soy-free, #non-gmo)


The new Just Mayo: very tangy, but still tasty.

I’ve always loved mayonnaise. 

I wanted it on every sandwich I ate when I was a kid. When I was in high school, my friends would remark at how gross mayonnaise was, and I would tell them how one day I was going to open a restaurant called “Just Mayo.” When pressed for further details, I would explain that people would come to my eatery and order a sandwich and milkshake, for example. When the order was delivered, it would be a plate of mayonnaise and a glass of mayonnaise, at which point the customer might ask, “What the heck is this?” The waiter would reply, “Just mayo!”

Similar to the scene where Dr. Evil from “Austin Powers” would be laughing for several minutes around his cronies, I and my peeps would laugh at this great business idea. Mwah haha…mwah haha…

Now that I don’t eat animals or things that come from them, I buy vegan mayo. I’ve tried making my own mayonnaise with a cashew base or tofu base or whatever base, and it wasn't that tasty. I’ve gone without mayonnaise at times, but I like a nice dollop of mayo with my vinegary dal and when I make my coconut bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches.

I’ve had the pleasure of trying different vegan mayos, and this is how I rank them:
  • First Place – Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise (non-gmo; there's a soy-free version): Thick, creamy, slightly sweet, yet tangy. Perfect in my sandwiches that have sprouts, pineapple, and spinach. (Sorry, I didn't have a jar around; so I don't have images of the front and back)
  • Second Place – Just Mayo (soy-free, non-gmo): When I opened the lid, I was greeted with the familiar scent of non-vegan mayo – a vinegary, eggy smell. I’m sure the parts of my brain that handle scents and memories went nuts. Just Mayo was runnier than Follow Your Heart’s Vegenaise. It’s tangy and salty, with a sweet aftertaste; you want another bite after you swallow.


  • Third Place – Follow Your Heart Chipotle Vegenaise (soy-free, non-gmo): Yowsa, this sucker packs a punch! It’s a lovely smoky orange color, and it’s very thick and creamy with specks of chili throughout. When you first taste it, you’re hit with a tang, then a little sweetness, then a lot of heat. This is perfect as a condiment to dip baked potato wedges into. It is more like a spread and less like mayo. 


  • Fourth Place – Follow Your Heart Roasted Garlic Vegenaise (soy-free, non-gmo): This mayo has a consistency similar to the chipotle one, but is more mayo-like. Upon eating it, all you taste is roasted garlic and lemon; the garlicky flavor is almost like the taste of burnt garlic, but not in a disgusting way. The aftertaste is a sweet note. This would be nice on fake chicken sandwiches or even as a base in salad dressings with olive oil.


  • Fifth Place – Earth Balance’s Original Mayo (soy-free, non-gmo): The flavor is one-note (tangy, then just dull), but it’s creamy, thick, and perfectly suitable to spread on a sandwich or make an entrĂ©e creamier. 


Vegans, fortunately, have tasty mayo options on the market. You don't have to slather your meals with mayonnaise, but once in a while a small spoonful can add a pleasant tang and creaminess to a dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment