Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Review: Vegan Smoked Salmon by Sophie's Kitchen


Vegan Smoked Salmon by Sophie's Kitchen is a milder, cruelty-free version of the original.

One of my favorite breakfast items prior to going plant-based was a bagel, lox, and cream cheese. Finding vegan bagels and cream cheese isn’t tough, but finding vegan smoked salmon is!

I was excited to try the Vegan Smoked Salmon by Sophie’sKitchen to experience that creamy, chewy texture of a protein atop tangy cream cheese and a toasted everything bagel.

The package is lovely, and the smoked salmon was equally beautiful. The slices were thin and spongy when taken out of the fridge. It’s best to let the salmon come to room texture so it becomes less spongy. The product smelled exactly like smoked salmon.




After placing the slices on a plate, I covered with a paper towel and put a plate on top to press out any extra liquid.

After 45 minutes, I toasted my bagel and got my cream cheese spread ready.

Cream Cheese Spread with Chives and Water Chestnuts
  • 8 oz. tub of dairy-free cream cheese (I used Tofutti cream cheese)
  • 1/4 c. of diced water chestnuts
  • 1-2 T of dillweed
  • Pinch of salt

Empty all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Add dillweed and/or salt to your taste.

I find that adding chopped water chestnuts to the cream cheese gives a crisp crunch to every bite.

I assembled my sandwich and dug right in … Yum!



While the smell of the smoked salmon is strong, the flavor is more subdued. I put two slices per sandwich, but if you want a stronger salmon flavor, you might need 3-4 slices per sandwich. When I took bites that had less cream cheese, I could easily identify that wonderful smoked fish flavor.

This product is a definite winner. 

2 comments:

  1. I love Sophie's smoked salmon, so much that I order it by the case as individual packets are not available in my area. With vegan cream cheese, tomato, and onion on a bagel, it is my favorite breakfast treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some Sophies Smoked Salmon yesterday, and can I say OMG, I am in LOVE, and I didn't even know that it's better to let it come to room temp and dry it out a bit, I just slathered some veg cream cheese, slapped 4 slices per bagel side, and liberally sprinkled some capers- I wasn't a lover of the wetness of the slices, but tomorrow I'm going to let it sit out, and place it between two paper towels!
    thank you for the review, and the suggestions, can't wait for breakfast tomorrow :D

    ReplyDelete