Sunday, January 5, 2014

Recipe: Almond and Pumpkin Porridge (#gluten-free, #grain-free)

Over the past few days, my breakfasts have consisted of a tasty eggless-salad sandwich with three strips of Upton's Bacon Seitan (Recipe to come!).

I wanted something different this chilly Sunday morning, so I tested a new recipe that I printed about a month ago from Choosing Raw.  Instead of oats, this porridge uses almond pulp that's produced from making homemade almond milk. I don't make my own almond milk, so I used almond flour.


The recipe calls for cinnamon. For the heck of it, I'm using Apple Pie Spice. Use Pumpkin Pie spice if you want.

Almond and Pumpkin Breakfast Porridge (gluten-free and grain-free)
Ingredients:
  • 1 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 c. almond pulp (I used almond flour)
  • 1 T of ground flaxseed or chia seeds, which are not ground up
  • 1/3 c. of almond milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon (I used Apple Pie Spice)
  • 2 tsp of maple syrup (Go with Grade B, it's more flavorful than Grade A)
Toppings: chopped nuts, vegan chocolate chips, dried fruit, etc.

Directions:

Add the pumpkin, almond pulp (or flour), flax or chia (I used chia), almond milk, salt, and cinnamon to a small to medium saucepan. Whisk the ingredients over medium heat until they start to bubble. Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking gently and continuously. Empty contents into a bowl and drizzle with the maple syrup and toppings. I sprinkled a little more Apple Pie Spice on top. 


My porridge seen just before it began bubbling. Try to keep the chia seeds in the mixture.

The porridge was slightly salty and had the wonderful consistency of the cream of wheat I remember eating as a child. If you want your porridge creamy, then use flax; otherwise, the chia seeds add a chewy bite (I loved it). I tasted the pumpkin with each bite, but it wasn't strong. I didn't really taste the cinnamon or anything else, which is perfectly fine. So, adjust the seasonings to your liking. I might try this with ground cardamom next time. 


My finished bowl of almond and pumpkin porridge drizzled with maple syrup.

It was a hardy breakfast, and I only could eat half. My husband enjoyed the small spoonful I gave him, and my son -- as expected -- didn't like it. With his autism, textures can be a problem, so the chia seeds were not a welcome addition to his palate. He struggles sometimes with soups, cereal, and dishes that have different components (such as a sauce over rice). He loves crunchy things, so cereal in the beginning is good, but once it gets soggy he starts to gag with the mushy texture mixed with the runny almond milk. He doesn't struggle to eat; some children on the spectrum have low muscle tone in their mouths that affect their ability to chew and swallow. But, his problem is more of a strong gag reflex that comes about because he's sensitive to textures. His eating habits have improved tremendously over the years, so I have no doubt this problem will be a short blip in his life. 


Enjoy the porridge. It's definitely a keeper in my stack of recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment