Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Review: Dandies Mini Marshmallows and Tasty Baked Sweet Potatoes


A large sweet potato makes a wonderful lunch or dinner.

For lunch today I made my favorite – baked sweet potato. I sometimes eat only this for dinner, but it’s sweet, salty, and extremely filling.

If you use your toaster oven, like I do, preheat it to 350. Wash and dry the sweet potato and slice it in half. Bake the potato -- cut-side down -- for 45-60 minutes. Stop cooking it when you see bubbling liquid around the edges of the sweet potato. 

I then put the sweet potato on a plate and score the flesh with a knife or fork. I then sprinkle a generous pinch of salt over both halves, followed by another generous pinch of coconut palm sugar, and 1-2 tsp of vegan buttery spread. I then microwave the sweet potato for 30 seconds. The potato is sweet, salty and has a little creaminess from the buttery spread. The skin gets salty and buttery, too, and tastes delicious at the end.

I recently purchased a bag of delicious Dandies Minis, which are vegan marshmallows. These marshmallows are sweet and gooey when slightly melted on my sweet potato (I omit the palm sugar when I use marshmallows). I've never been a marshmallow fan, but Dandies have a great bite and slightly powdery exterior that feels excellent in your mouth. I've never had the large Dandies, but I know I love the mini ones. 



Dandies Minis are not as chewy as non-vegan marshmallows. They have a better texture and are not overly sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment