Friday, January 17, 2014

Review: Viana Organic Creamy Spreads


Viana's tasty spreads, which are found for around $4 a jar at veganessentials.com.

I love crafting and eating sandwiches, but just working with mayo, ketchup, and mustard can get boring -- even if the contents between the bread change. I was curious to try Viana's various creamy spreads, most of which are comprised of ground sunflower seeds. 

All the spreads were well-seasoned and had their own distinct flavors. I used most as a spread on bread, but toward the end I used spoonfuls in various sauces to add another dimension to the flavor profile. My latest pumpkin pasta dish was exquisite thanks to the spoonfuls of Papaya Curry and Italian Vegetables. Both spreads added tartness, fruity notes, and hints of herb flavors.

Here's my take on the various spreads:

  • Onion butter: What’s not to love about this seasoned spread – it’s buttery, salty, and has onion pieces in it that taste like the fried onions that get tossed on green bean casseroles. I’ve spread it on toast, but I absolutely loved adding a spoon of it to my baked sweet potato.
  • Papaya Curry: This creamy sunflower spread has a very subtle curry taste. It has a fruity flavor and is just plain wonderful. I’ve added a spoon to my savory dishes, and it adds a lovely tang.
  • Horseradish: This creamy sunflower spread is one of my favorites. Your tongue is bombarded with a strong horseradish flavor, but there’s absolutely no heat. Don’t expect the usual stabbing pain in your sinus when you eat horseradish. I added a spoon of this to my portion of creamy cauliflower and it elevated the dish with its tang and horseradish flavor.
  • Red Pepper: This creamy sunflower spread tastes like a sweet pizza sauce. It’s a pretty pink and is thick like the other spreads. It’s wonderful on a flat bread and then topped with fresh veggies (like a pizza, but without the actual pizza sauce). It’s great as a dip for crackers and tortilla chips.
  • Italian Vegetables: You can taste the oregano and basil in this creamy sunflower spread. It’s similar to the red pepper spread, but it has a fresh-herb taste. This would be great as a dip, spread, or as an ingredient in pasta or casserole recipe.
  • Eggplant: This creamy sunflower spread had the consistency of stage 2 baby food. It was one of my least favorites. It definitely tastes like pureed eggplant and herbs. It would be fine as a dip for crackers and chips. I would use this as a filling inside eggplant rollatini.
  • Lentil Curry: This creamy lentil spread is very thick and tastes like cooked lentils that have been ground into a paste. There is a slight curry flavor and a tang that comes from the mango and apple puree, and other juices added to the product. It’s tasty and would probably be good spread on a strong cracker or even as a sandwich spread.

Most of the spreads have a thick consistency. Eggplant was a tad bit runnier.

I would highly recommend these spreads if you're looking to take your sandwiches to another level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment