Thursday, January 16, 2014

Review: Treeline Aged Artisanal Hard-Style Treenut Cheese


Treeline's Cracked Pepper hard cheese, at left, and Original flavor.

Recently, I purchased Treeline’s new hard cheeses fromVeganEssentials. I ordered the Original and Cracked Pepper flavors. I have never tried Treeline’s soft cheeses, but I’ve read fairly good reviews on that product.

The hard cheeses, which can fit in the palm of your hand, resemble Parmigiano-Reggiano on the outside and on the inside when you make a wedge. That’s where the similarities end. The taste is a pleasant, sharp tang, like feta.






Because of the hard texture, I shredded the cheese on a microplane over a piece of bread. I made a grilled cheese sandwich. I also shredded a little of the cheese over a bowl of tomato soup. The shredded cheese feels softer in your mouth. The cheese doesn't really melt; it actually browns if exposed to heat. It also gives off a strong cashew aftertaste, which didn’t bother me.

I wouldn’t order this cheese again, and it’s not just because it’s $10.50. I don’t need this type of cheese in the type of dishes I cook. It was nice having a grilled cheese, but I think shoppers can use cheaper vegan shredded cheese and add a few spices to hide the nasty flavors (I don’t like most vegan cheeses). 


The black pepper flavor tasted the same as the original, but the edge was crusted in cracked peppercorns – a nice touch. But, for the same reasons I mentioned above, I would not order this flavor again, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment