Monday, December 30, 2013

Product Review: Instant Veggie Burger Mix from Great Life by Lucinda (Roasted Garlic, Dried Tomato & Chive)



I enjoy making my own veggie burgers from canned black beans: I drain and rinse the beans; mash them in a bowl with a fork; add a squirt of ketchup, mustard and relish and some spices; and then form the mixture into patties and bake in the toaster oven for 10-15 minutes -- flipping the burgers halfway through the cooking process.

It's fun to craft sandwiches and play around with different flavors and textures: 

  • Greens: For a tender bite, add spinach; otherwise, kale adds a great chew, while lettuce gives that clean, crisp bite.
  • Spreads: Nothing beats Follow Your Heart Veganaise and Earth Balance Original Mayo (which is soy-free), but I'm really digging the flavors of Viana's Organic Spreads (Stay tuned for product reviews of these spreads!)
  • Pickles and Peppers: Sweet relish, sweet pickles, mild banana peppers, spicy chipotles, the list goes on and on.
  • Cheese: I love a tangy cheese, so I make my own with almond flour, lemon juice, and Siracha. Door 86 makes awesome vegan cheese, and I'll be testing Treeline Aged Artisanal Hard-Style Treenut Cheeses soon.
  • Bread: I avoid breads that can't hold up to all the sauces and veggies I add to my sandwiches. So far, a Turkish bread from Giant Farmers Market in Hackensack has been the best for my burgers and sandwiches. It even does a good job at keeping sliced avocado and tomatoes from sliding out.
I wanted to have another shelf-stable product in my arsenal when I was craving a veggie burger, so I ordered Instant Veggie Burger Mix from Great Life by Lucinda (Roasted Garlic, Dried Tomato & Chive) from VeganEssentials


The ingredients are simple, and you only have to add hot water to 1 cup of mix before forming your patties. 


The cooked patty had a subtle garlic and tomato flavor. It was drier than my bean burgers, but a slice of onion and Veganaise on the bread added moisture.

If you like to have shelf-stable products at your fingertips for when you and your family crave a burger, then give this product a try. Other flavors include: Smoky Chipotle, Garden Veg, Curry, and Cajun. They are priced on VeganEssentials for $7.99 for 8 oz. package (makes about six patties per package). 

No comments:

Post a Comment