Thursday, January 2, 2014

No Animals Were Harmed with the Making of This Fake Meat

The decision to eat fake meat can get some vegans riled up. I definitely can understand why some people find it disgusting to eat a product that resembles the flesh of animals. When I first became plant-based, I immediately shunned fake meats. I asked my cousin, who has been vegan for a few years and is an activist for animal rights, her thoughts on imitation burgers, hot dogs and chicken strips.

She said the transition to a vegan lifestyle can be difficult for some people, so fake meats fill that void that former carnivores experience. She told me her husband loves veggie hot dogs, and my family and hers have enjoyed vegan burgers together in the past, so I know she and her young daughter have no qualms with the occasional soy- or wheat-based sandwich meat.

It was definitely exciting as a home cook to convert my beloved non-vegan recipes into plant-based ones with the aid of seitan (comprised of wheat gluten) and TSP (textured soy protein). My husband marveled at my new-and-improved dishes that included such classics as:

  • Chicken curry
  • "Meatloaf"
  •  Tacos and tamales
I know for myself that having these fake meats at my disposal provided a sort of comfort. There was no way I was going back to eating animal flesh, but feeling satisfied and not feeling cut off from dishes that reminded me of my mom, holidays, and other special occasions was important. 

As the year went on, my stack of recipes grew considerably, and the "stars" of the dish shifted from fake meats to heartier veggies. I would say fake meats appear sparingly in my diet today because I've just grown to love the taste of fruits and veggies, and I just feel great when I eat more fresh produce. 

So, if you're new to the plant-based scene, don't feel guilty for chowing on Gardein, Fieldstone, or Tofurky products. You might need these items to help other family members let go of their meat obsession and to fill everyone's plates until you achieve a collection of good plant-based recipes. 

Coming soon: I'll talk about one of my favorite vegan eateries and a NYC shop that delivers awesome vegan "meat" products. 





No comments:

Post a Comment