Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Vegan Sushi: Easy Peasy with Sushezi


                                      My vegan barbecue chicken roll topped
                                      with vegan caviar, aka Caviart

There's just something about sushi: the oceany flavor of the nori, the sweet and vinegary taste of the rice, and the savory and tender ingredients sandwiched in the middle. Each bite can be so satisfying, especially when dipped in soy sauce (or coconut aminos) that's studded with wasabi.

Sushi isn't difficult to make at home, but it can be a bit messy. I wanted to try out my new Sushezi, which promises to make "perfectly round, restaurant-quality sushi at home," to see if I could streamline the sushi-making process.

The Sushezi definitely makes things easier. I bought mine for $16 on Amazon, but the product usually hovers around $20-$23. (Tip: Put items you want to buy from Amazon in your cart and check your cart each day -- Amazon lets you know at the top if the price of your item has increased or decreased since you last logged in. That was how I was able to get my Sushezi cheaper; I waited until the price decreased. Price drops don't always happen right away, and you have to know when to buy; otherwise the item could increase in price and not come back down for months.)

I would definitely recommend this product whether you make sushi once a month or once a week. Prep time is still the same, but you really are almost guaranteed a nice, full, compact tube of rice. I can't guarantee cutting the roll into slices will be easier, but what helps is if you use a sharp knife and wet the knife in between cuts.


My Sushezi is open and slightly oiled.


I pan fried some soy protein that I smothered in homemade barbecue sauce (ketchup, mustard, organic sugar or maple syrup).


Ingredients: pickles, avocado, nori, pickled ginger, and sesame seeds


Fill each side with a 1/2 c. of cooked rice.
                                      

Add your ingredients. I drizzled some Siracha on the avocado.


Bring up the sides of the Sushezi and snap close. You then twist the cap on the bottom and twist the handle at the top to compact the insides.


Uncap the bottom, and push the rice roll onto the nori.


All rolled up


See all the yummy ingredients!


Wetting the knife in between cuts helped a lot.


The perfect bite! I added sliced avocado, pickled ginger, and black Caviart seaweed caviar on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment