Saturday, January 4, 2014

Creative Curry Time

I was craving a tomato-based curry in which to submerge some baked tofu and eat with a few sweet potato falafels, but I didn't have any canned or fresh tomatoes. Good thing I had a can of chunky tomato soup (vegan, of course). This soup was already sweetened a bit and had some herbs tossed in, so I liked that some of the flavoring was done for me.


My baked sweet potato falafels. Recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen.

A little back story -- I'm hoping my family gets to move to Arkansas in the next couple of months, so I've been working through all the food I have stored in my pantry and freezer to save up some money and lighten the moving load. The move would be part of a relocation through my husband's job. When my husband first mentioned that we might have the opportunity to move to Arkansas, I opened up Google and typed in "vegan restaurants in Bentonville, Ark." I didn't search for rental rates, schools, or big-city-like things -- I just wanted to know what the atmosphere would be like. I was happy to see in the search results that there are vegetarian restaurants that could easily serve me vegan fare. Plus, I read they also have cool farmers markets in the area, so I'm gung-ho about going. Anyway, that's why I don't rush out to buy "missing" ingredients when I want to cook; I just try to be creative with what I have.

So, back to the recipe ...

Ingredients:

  • 2 T of olive oil
  • 2 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-inch piece of ginger, minced (I used a big honkin' spoon of ginger-garlic paste because I was out of garlic and ginger -- about 2 T; the paste can be found at Indian stores)
  • 1 minced hot pepper -- jalapeno or green chili, for example (I had one lonely chipotle pepper sitting in about 2 T of adobo sauce sitting in a container in the fridge; I used this pepper and the sauce)
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp of garam masala
  • 3 chopped tomatoes or 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes (I used my 19-ounce can of tomato soup)
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1 c. of cubed baked tofu (You could use chopped mushrooms instead)
  • 1/4 c. of raisins (I didn't have raisins, so I used dried cranberries)
  • 1/2 c of chopped cashews
  • Optional ingredients: dash of cinnamon, coconut milk, vinegar, sugar

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for less than a minute. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for a couple minutes. Add the curry powder, paprika, garam masala, and tomatoes. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes. If you want a thicker sauce allow the liquid to reduce a bit on low heat. Add the baking soda and stir well (the mixture will foam a bit; the baking soda cuts away some of the acidity). Add the cubed tofu, cashews, and raisins, and simmer for another 5 minutes. At this point, I added a dash of cinnamon and about a 1/2 cup of coconut milk I had sitting in the fridge. (I had used most of the cream to make coconut whipped cream, so I had mostly the watery portion leftover). If you want your curry sweeter, add a little sugar. If you need more tang, add 1-2 T of vinegar. 

That's it. You can add a pinch of salt if needed. My tomato soup had salt in it, so I didn't need to add any extra. Serve with tortillas, naan bread, or over rice. I'm weird and like to eat my chunky curries like stew. 



My finished curry. My spoon shows the baked tofu and some cashew bits.

I was happy with how the curry turned out. It had a little heat to it, and the tofu chunks and bits of cashews and dried cranberries provided great texture. The baked tofu wasn't mushy; it had a nice chew to it. The cashews were softened, but still had a bite to them, and the dried cranberries gave bursts of sweetness that cut into the smoky heat from the chipotle pepper and adobo sauce.


I love this brand of baked tofu. I buy it from Whole Foods and freeze the extras. I used half a package for this recipe (two chunks are in each package). I then slice the tofu in half the long way, and then I cube it.

My husband loved the curry. I like surprising him with my fun creations and showing him that his American-born Desi girl knows how to use her spices!



No comments:

Post a Comment