Monday, January 20, 2014

Recipe and Review: Pesto using Parmela’s Parmesan-Style Aged Nut Cheese


Good things come in small packages. 

I was always intrigued by pesto. All the celebrity chefs were making it on their shows, and I loved how green it was and how fresh it looked because of how quick it was made using simple ingredients. 

I never tasted or made pesto prior to becoming plant-based (I know, hard to believe, but I just stuck to tomato- and cream-based sauces). But that all changed when I came across Parmela’s Parmesan-Style Aged Nut Cheese.

I was thinking of different ways to use the product other than sprinkling it on homemade pizzas. So I thought I'd give pesto a try.

Parmela's Parmesan has a nutty, cheesy flavor that comes from the cashews and nutritional yeast. The texture is medium to fine course, and I find that it has a slight zing as an aftertaste (maybe from the fermented soybeans).

A lot of vegans simply use nutritional yeast when they want a Parmesan-like cheese. I don’t mind the taste of nutritional yeast (or nooch, as it’s sometimes called), but I don’t like to flavor my pesto with it. My pesto tastes bland and unappealing with it.

I’ve read some reviews online from people who don’t particularly care for Parmela’s. The reviewers don’t mention how they apply Parmela’s Parmesan, so I’m not sure what their issue with the product is. I’ll admit, I don’t notice the flavor of this nut-cheese product too much when sprinkled on a finished dish, but my dishes often feature robust spices and strong ingredients that can easily overpower this subtle cheese alternative.

But in my pesto, which is sweet, fragrant, and mild, this product adds body and nutty, cheesy notes that make me want to keep eating it.

Pesto

Ingredients:
2 cups of loosely packed basil
1/3 cup of pine nuts (toast them in a pan for a couple minutes, tossing frequently, until they darken slightly and give off an aroma)
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 c of Parmela’s Parmesan
1/3 c to 2/3 c of olive oil, depending on how runny you want the sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Put everything into a food processor – except the salt and pepper – and blend until mixed thoroughly. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Blend again and taste.


This is how my pesto looks with 2/3 cup of olive oil. 


I'm about to boil some organic whole wheat spaghetti.


Finish off your plate of pasta with a sprinkle of Parmela's and a splash of fresh lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment