Thursday, January 23, 2014

Review: Gardein Breakfast Sausage Patties and Upton’s Bacon Seitan



A cruelty-free breakfast definitely doesn’t include sausage and bacon…unless those items are made from veggies and grains.

If you’re a plant-based eater and want a hearty protein with your fluffy pancakes and tofu eggs, than I would definitely try Upton’s Bacon Seitan. If you pan fry it, it retains its chewy texture, but I found that when I cooked it in the toaster oven (on a tray, no oil), it crisped up a bit. 





Whenever I have Upton’s Bacon in my fridge, I eat 2-3 slices every morning. Yup, every morning. I usually just stick it between two pieces of toast with a savory spread. Otherwise, I enjoy it with tofu eggs or pancakes. It’s chewy, savory, and has a lovely spice. It doesn’t taste like bacon, but when crisped slightly in the toaster oven, it does taste like crisp, dark brown bacon.

Upton’s bacon is sliced thinly, and I find the contents more than generous. I think one box lasts me easily a week.


Gardein's sausage patties that I pan fried with fennel seeds to bring out a savory flavor.



When it comes to breakfast sausages, I haven’t found one that I really like. Gardein’s Patties look like an imitation pork patty – like what you’d get at McDonald’s. But, it tastes like mushy carrots. Now, I like carrots, so that’s not a bad thing, but if you want a savory, sausage taste, pan fry the patties with some fennel seeds. I found that gives it that sausage taste you might remember.

The patty is tender and hearty, but I just wish it had more of a savory and spiced taste to it.

So, buy the bacon seitan, but skip the Gardein patty – unless you like mushy carrots with your eggs and pancakes. 


Upton's bacon seitan sandwiched between two pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment