Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Review: Jem Raw Organic Nut Butters


My breakfast this morning: Bob's Red Mill rolled oats sweetened with Jem Raw Organic's Cinnamon Red Maca Almond Butter. The nut spread is perfect on fresh fruit, smeared on toast, or eaten off a spoon. 


My dinner last night: The crusty whole wheat bread, pungent raw onions, and fresh cilantro cut through the sweet -- but balanced -- barbecue sauce on the textured soy protein.

It probably wasn't until a few years ago when I tried something other than peanut butter with my jam. I tried almond butter and instantly fell in love. It's smooth, yet clings to the inside of your mouth. Since then, I've seen almond butter in its purest form, as well as mixed with spices and/or flavorful additions, such as chocolate. 

I don't recall exactly why I ordered Jem Raw Organic's Cinnamon Red Maca Almond Butter last year, but I think it might have had to do with the small-business appearance of the company and their apparent dedication to quality. Their nut butters are raw (meaning they're not prepared at a certain level of heat), organic, extremely smooth and creamy, have a slightly runny consistency, and come in four flavors -- all of which I've tried.
  • Cinnamon Red Maca Almond Butter: This is my absolute favorite flavor. The creamy spread envelops your tongue, and you're hit with the cinnamon flavor and a pleasant sweetness that comes from the coconut palm sugar. I don't know what red maca (a strength and stamina enhancer) tastes like, but it must add to the overall amazing quality of this spread. I eat a little off a spoon if I want something small and sweet after a meal, and I've spread this on fruit and bread and mixed it in oatmeal and smoothies. 
  • Macqui Camu Super Berry Nut Butter: Made from raw sprouted almonds like the Cinnamon Red Maca Almond Butter, this product is a close second as a tasty spread. It has a fruity taste that is very pleasant and cuts through the sweetness. 
  • Coconut Cardamom Almond Butter: This almond butter definitely tastes like coconuts and cardamom and was more sweet than salty/savory. It worked perfect as a spread over my not-so-sweet white vanilla cake and as an ingredient in my smoothies. Those who enjoy eating Indian sweets will love this spread.
  • Chocolate Hazelnut Spread: This nut butter is comprised of sprouted organic hazelnuts and is a wonderful replacement for Nutella and similar chocolate-hazelnut spreads. The organic cocao nibs are front and center as a flavor profile, so much so, that I found this spread to be more one-note when compared to the other spreads, which pulled your taste buds in different directions with the spicy, sweet, and savory components.
 



Follow Jem Raw Organics on their Facebook page to learn about discounts and free-shipping offers. I usually wait until they offer 10-20 percent discounts before ordering. Each 6 oz. jar costs $12.99. There are 1 oz. jars for $3.99. You might be able to find the nut butters cheaper on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment